Tuesday, April 6, 2010

Hitting the Wall


I realize that some people rarely see the sunrise, so here is another picture of my morning drive across Honey Creek bridge.  As I have told you, running is a new thing for me.  I always said that I didn't run unless something big and ugly was chasing me.  Well, I have begun to realize that old age is something big and ugly, so I am running to get in shape.  As I have been training for this 5k, I have faced something that I have heard runners talk about, but had never experienced before. Marathon runners call it “hitting the wall.”  It is that part of the race where it seems like rigor mortis has set in and you can’t go another step. (For me it happens at about 500 yards) Breathing becomes labored, each step feels like you’re wearing Soprano-style cement shoes, and you wonder what motivated you to volunteer for 26.2 miles of torture.  It happens to everyone, even the best, but some give in to it and others push through it.  You see, the wall is a lie.  In reality, it is your body coming to the end of it’s every day resources.  But when you push past the wall, it opens up into another supply called the “second wind.”  Energy, adrenaline, and will-power that your body has held in reserve for emergencies now kick into action and suddenly you are convinced that you can finish the race.  Your breathing is easier, your feet are lighter, and your resolve is renewed.  The goal comes clearly into focus, whether it be winning the race or simply finishing it with a personal best time, you now feel as if you can give it your best shot. Christians go through a similar experience.  The Bible calls it becoming “weary in well-doing.”  Our bodies become tired and we begin to lose focus.  We take our eyes off of the goal and start to look around us at what others are doing or are not doing.  We can learn a lesson from Peter in this regard.  When he was walking on the water with Jesus, everything was great until he started looking around, then he began to sink.  When we take our eyes off of the Lord during times of difficulty, it only makes things worse.  Peter’s story also offers us the solution though.  As soon as he started to sink, he cried out to Jesus and said, “Lord, save me.” The Scriptures say that immediately Jesus reached out and caught him.  So when we are getting weary in well doing, we need to turn our focus back to the Lord, ask Him to get us “through the wall,” and remind ourselves of the reason we are serving and the goal that is ahead. By doing so, we will be able to “press toward the mark,” as we faithfully serve God.  Remember, the finish line is just in sight.

1 comment:

  1. That's good! I hit that 'ole wall a lot, but with God, He is going to help me to keep on keeping on!

    ReplyDelete