Tuesday, June 22, 2010

Prone To Wander, Lord I Feel It

Robert Robinson, in his classic hymn, Come, Thou Fount, expressed a common struggle that we all feel from time to time, the world's tug upon our heart.  He spoke of "how great a debtor" to God's grace he found himself to be on a daily basis.  His old heart was "prone to wander" and always tempted to leave the God that he genuinely loved.  Robinson recognized that he needed God's love and grace to bind his heart to God's heart and to seal it for eternity.  No matter how active we are in the service of the Lord, the world's siren song is always ringing out.  We need to beware the carelessness that could cause us to stumble and fall.  We need to walk closer to our Savior so that He can lead the way and protect us in the path.  The following is a poem that I wrote while thinking about this human struggle.  I hope it is a blessing to you.

THE WANDERER'S PRAYER

Alas, Dear Lord, I fear this day,
for I have chosen my own way.
This path that not so long ago
Seemed right for me. Now, I don't know.
The way is slip'ry, and sometimes steep
And I, just like a wandering sheep,
Have strayed from where you safely led,
By quiet waters and peaceful bed,
To this place filled with sin's loud call
Where careless steps may mean a fall.
O Lord, I need your guiding light,
A beacon in this lonely night,
I need your comfort and your love.
I need your mercy from above.
And strengthen me to face each test,
And help me know Your way is best

1 comment: