Wednesday, June 30, 2010

Down The Rabbit Hole

Isn’t technology wonderful? I love the Carrollian “rabbit hole” that the internet offers, opening doors of exploration never before available to mankind. Why, Google alone offers us the opportunity to explore avenues of adventure that our predecessors would never have even dreamed of. One such adventure occurred to me the other day when I decided to Google my own name, just to see if there were any references to me on the internet. I have to say that the results about me personally were a little disappointing to my ego, but as I followed the links describing others who share my name, I was struck with an intriguing thought. What if you could get up every morning and decide which of the various and sundry lives of people that share your name you wanted to live that day? For me personally, I think it would be fascinating. With my personal fondness for sports, I think I would start out with a day as the Co-head Football, Girls Basketball, Wrestling, and Track Coach for Dundee County/Stratton Public Schools. Just about any day of the year would be interesting and exciting in the life of that Marty Hughes. If I wanted to see what the world of big business and high finance was like, I could spend a day as the Marty Hughes who serves as the Chairman and CEO of the brokerage firm, HUB International. If I wanted to try something new and exciting, I could take the place of the Marty Hughes who plays collegiate hockey for Boston College or the Stock Car Racer from Lancaster, PA. Some weekend, I think I’d like to sit in for the Jazz aficionado, just to see what the life of a musician is like. If I wanted to help people, I could take my pick of the North Carolina veterinarian, or the Optometrist from Tennessee, or even the humanitarian who is carrying on the work of Mother Teresa. They all share my name. If I need some time off, I can just fill in for the Nebraska fishing guide that specializes in fishing from a kayak. They call him Kayak Jack, but his real name is, you guessed it, Marty Hughes. But with my sense of humor, I think that the one on the top of my list would be the Marty Hughes who serves as the President of the Notre Dame Bagpipe Band, although I’m sure he can get annoying at times. This Walter Mitty fantasy journey is something that intrigues me, but then again, I am easily entertained. I have to say, most days, I really love the life I already have, so I’m sure it wouldn’t take long for me to head right back home where I belong. The Bible encourages us to be content with what we have.  I have to confess that although I have lived a charmed life and God has given me everything that my heart could desire, I sometimes find myself struggling with contentment.  I guess it is the human tendency to take things for granted and not live in the joy of the moment, but I have found that the best way to deal with it when it comes, is to begin to look at the things that I have to be thankful for.  God is good all of the time, even if we have to take a closer look to see it once in a while.  And besides, I don't even know how to play the bagpipes. :0)

No comments:

Post a Comment