Wednesday, March 31, 2010

About Me

My four years at Baptist Bible College were some of the best years of my life.  I learned, I grew and I met some of the most influential people in my life. Dr. Robert Terrey, my mentor and second father, showed confidence in me and gave me my first job in the ministry, hiring me to be his youth director when I was still just a youth myself.  His wife kept me well-fed for four years. The 35 mile drive to Crane twice a week offered me the chance to pick his brain and benefit from his years of ministry experience and his vast knowledge of the Word of God.  He also taught me to play tennis, took me flying in his airplane, and challenged me to never stop pursuing a deeper knowledge of God and His Word.  Ma and Pa Terrey, as I call them, have remained an integral part of my life now for over 30 years.  Dr. Terrey passed away a few years ago, but Ma Terrey is still going strong, living with her daughter in North Carolina. 
The friendships that I developed at BBC have served me well in ministry through the years.  Fellow pastors, missionaries, singers, and many others that I have counted on to enhance my ministry and challenge me to new heights first graced my life as classmates and teachers at BBC. 
I met my wife, Shelley, at BBC and proposed to her on the night we met.  Three years later, in a weak moment, she finally said yes.  She has been a faithful companion and a willing helpmeet for almost 28 years now.  We have two wonderful children, Chelsea, 24, whose heart is set on serving the Lord in China, and Bobby, 21, who wants to be a brain surgeon, but is busy slicing through opposing defenses right now as a member of the BBC Patriots Basketball team. 
After college, I served in the youth and Christian school ministry in Spokane, Washington for a year. Then I went back to school at Southwestern Baptist Theological Seminary to work on my Masters.  While there I served at Hurstview Baptist Church in Hurst, Texas, Hallmark Baptist Church, in Fort Worth, and Friendly Lane Baptist in Fort Worth.  I served  the Lord in music and youth at Bethesda Baptist Church in San Antonio, Texas and Good News Baptist Church in Churubusco, Indiana, before taking my first pastorate in Louisburg, Kansas in 1988.  In 1993, I became the pastor of First Bible Baptist Church in Oklahoma City until 2000, when we merged First Bible with Kingspark Baptist Church to form Kingspark Bible Baptist Church where I served as the Worship Pastor, Discipleship Pastor, School Principal and Learning Center Supervisor and Head Basketball Coach.  After four years at Kingspark, God led us to Grove, where we have now been ministering for almost six years.
I am happily serving the Lord as the pastor of a great group of people here in smalltown America.  I consider myself a little bit of a poet, and I love any opportunity that I am given to express the work that God is doing inside of me through writing.  I have been doing a somewhat daily prayer update for the folks in my church for the last three years or so and have been encouraged to offer some of these devotional writings to a little larger audience, so here we go.  I hope you enjoy this adventure.  I will be sharing some of my poetry, some of my devotional essays, and from time to time just some of my thoughts as the Lord lays things on my heart.   I hope to be a blessing.

No comments:

Post a Comment